WBC, WBA super middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is paying no attention to the critics who believe that he needs to face some of the top talents at the light heavyweight limit of 175-pounds – like WBC, IBF champion Artur Beterbiev.
Canelo is back in the ring on Saturday night, when he faces mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida.
The Mexican superstar has already booked his next fight on May 8th, likely against WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders.
Canelo is a tremendous favorite to beat Yildirim, but he’s taking no chances with his upcoming opponent.
The two boxers had previously sparred in the past.
“In sparring it’s totally different, it’s totally something else, but he’s a strong, hardened fighter who goes head-to-head. He punches, holds on a lot and doesn’t step back. You always have to be careful with those kind of fighters, because with one punch they can change the fight. I’m prepared so there won’t be any surprises,” Canelo told George Ebro.
Canelo does not see anyone out there who can overcome his talents in the super middleweight division.
“I don’t think so. I feel at my best at this stage of my career, I feel very strong, more skilful, more confident inside the ring. I don’t think there’s anyone who can beat me in the division,” Canelo said.
The once-beaten boxer has captured world titles at junior middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight.
Despite making a move to 175 in 2019, to capture the WBO title with a knockout of Sergey Kovalev, Canelo has no intention of returning to that weight class in the near future.
After that win, Canelo vacated the title and dropped down in weight.
“Those who don’t believe in me want to see me lose [so they want me to go to 175]. That’s what they want to see anyway. If it’s not at this [weight of 175], they will make it another weight. What they want is to see me lose, so they can be happy. Well, obviously, I’m not going to please them,” Canelo said.